25 January 2019

Windows 10 please STOP reboot my PC/Laptop

Most of all in Windows 10 I hate preinstalled games and that it rebooting my laptop as he wants (most often at night and mostly without any notification).
To prevent it I have found a simple solution - disable "Reboot" task. But everything turned out to be more difficult. Windows still reboot my laptop (the screenshot below shows that task started even it disabled ("Отключено" in Russian)).


Therefore I decide to write a powershell script to prevent it once and for all.

What the script does:

  1. Disables automatic reboot of Windows 10.
  2. Turn on notifications about downloaded updates.
  3. Does not disable Windows Update.
  4. Prevents external devices from waking the computer.
  5. I did this because my laptop could wake up with the lid closed from accidentally pressing the mouse button.
  6. Disables all Scheduled Tasks "Allow Wake Timers".
  7. To check what tasks are could wake your PC run the cmdlet (with administrator rights): "Get-ScheduledTask | where {$_.settings.waketorun}".

It works!
Tested on Windows 10 Pro 1803 (17134.523).

Tips:

  1. Run the script after each major update of Windows 10.
  2. Run the script from Powershell with administrators rights.
  3. Before starting the script run "set-executionpolicy Unrestricted -Confirm:$false -Scope CurrentUser -Force".
The script published on github - https://github.com/ruschestor/Windows-10_STOP_reboot_my_pc

Let me know if this helps you.

No comments:

Post a Comment